Faculty members act as advisers to sections of approximately 20-25 students that meet first period in a school-wide advisory period.
The Advisory course will:
- Expose students to the college exploration and application process and introduce them to various post-secondary careers.
- Lead students through completion of the Individual Graduation Portfolio (IGP).
- Develop skills necessary for success across academic content areas, such as public speaking, time management, note taking, and organizational skills.
- Reinforce Eastern’s emphasis on analytical reading and writing through journal entries, weekly vocabulary quizzes, and weekly readings.
- Introduce students to a global society through guest speakers, trips, and research projects.
- Serve as the primary vehicle to instill in every student the foundations of Eastern Senior High School (ESHS): Excellence, Scholarship, Honor, and Service.
Students will receive a letter grade in this course each marking period and will earn an elective credit toward graduation. Advisory should be considered as part of the academic day and therefore requires students’ full participation and effort. Active reading, writing, vocabulary studies, research, group-work, and class discussion will be expected throughout the year.