The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is grounded in the following aims:
- to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect
- to provide challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment
- to encourage students to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right
At Eastern, we offer:
the IB Middle Years Program for our 9th and 10th graders
the IB Diploma Program for our 11th and 12th graders.*
the IB Honors Program for our 9th, 10th, and 11th graders
Middle Years Program (MYP) – Grades 9 & 10
MYP focuses on critical thinking, conceptual understanding, and international mindedness. The MYP framework is used to heighten students’ engagement and push them to connect what they are learning in class with the world around them. MYP is an inclusive model, spanning the grade level, and helps all of our students to prepare for the demands of advanced coursework they will take as upperclassmen and in college.
In addition to their course requirements, MYP students will…
- Work collaboratively in interdisciplinary projects
- Participate in community service events
- Complete an MYP Personal Project
- Showcase their work to their peers and families
Students coming from our feeder middle schools are guaranteed a spot in our Middle Years Program. Out of boundary students interested in applying to the IB program must first complete an online application at www.myschooldc.org. This page describes all deadlines and the process.
Diploma Program (DP) – Grades 11 & 12
DP continues the priorities of MYP, adding an increased level of rigor, emphasis on independent and self-designed assignments, and the ability to earn college credit. DP courses are two years long to achieve both breadth and depth of material, and they prepare students for the difficulty and style of classes they will take in college.
DP students have the option pursue the Full IB Diploma (taking all IB classes and fulfilling additional requirements) or may choose to take a selection of IB courses based on their main interests. Because DP has two-year-long courses, only incoming 11th graders are eligible for this program.
Students at Eastern have two IB pathways. Students can work to earn the prestigious IB Diploma by taking all six subject classes, a Theory of Knowledge course, complete a research-based Extended Essay, and engage in Creativity/Activity/Service experiences. Students can also work toward individual IB certificates, taking one to five IB classes based on their interests and skills.
Eastern currently offers the following DP classes: Language and Literature, History of the Americas and 20th Century World Topics, Math Studies, Biology, Spanish, Theatre, and Theory of Knowledge. Current Eastern students interested in the Diploma Program should speak with their assigned counselor, and prospective Eastern students should email Ms. Braganza. Because of our focus on equity and inclusiveness, we do not require a specific GPA for admittance into IB; however, our most successful IB students have demonstrated a commitment to learning and the ability to persevere through obstacles.
IB Honors Program – (Grades 9, 10, & 11)
The IB Honors program includes a select group of students who are looking to challenge themselves further and undertake additional rigor and projects within their IB coursework.
- While all 9th and 10th graders will engage in the MYP framework, a select group of students will be chosen to participate in the MYP Honors cohort.
- Incoming 11th graders who are selected for IB Honors will participate in the DP Honors cohort, taking a unique set of college preparatory courses.
- IB Honors students are those who have demonstrated success in their previous classes and possess the capability and drive to challenge themselves with additional rigor.
To be considered for this opportunity, students must submit an application online. We seek students who are motivated, hardworking, and persevere through challenges. If you would like to apply for participation in Eastern’s IB Honors, please follow the steps below.
- If you are an Out-of-Boundary applicant applying to be admitted to the IB Honors program at the 9th through 11th grades level at Eastern High School, all applications must be completed online at myschooldc.org. This page describes all the deadlines and the process.
- Complete the online application at https://tinyurl.com/IBHonors
Because the online application must be completed in one sitting, it is helpful to plan out the following information prior to beginning it online.
The online application requests…
- Student and parent/guardian information
- Student’s name, email, address, school, and grade
- Parent/Guardian’s name, phone, and email
- The name, subject area, and email of an English, Social Studies, Math, or Science teacher who we can contact for a recommendation
- 2 written responses (in a minimum of six sentences each):
- The IB Learner Profile aims to develop students who are Inquirers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers, Communicators, Principled, Open-minded, Caring, Risk-takers, Balanced, and Reflective. In which one of these traits are you currently the strongest? Provide at least two examples that demonstrate your strength in that element of the Learner Profile.
- IB students are involved in their local, national, and global communities. Describe a news story that recently attracted your attention. Include why it interested you and how you could learn more or become involved.
- Obtain a copy of your most recent report card and share it with Ms. Braganza, Eastern’s IB Coordinator. You may send it via email (email@example.com), via fax (202-698-4800 attn: Ms. Braganza), or dropped off/mailed to the school (1700 East Capitol Street NE, Washington, DC 20003, attn: Ms. Braganza).
Interested in learning more?
Please contact Ms. Braganza, Eastern’s IB Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Eastern Senior High School is a candidate school for the MYP; we are pursuing authorization as an IB World School for MYP. Eastern was authorized as an IB World School for the Diploma Program in 2013. IB World Schools share a common philosophy – a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education – that we believe is important for our students.